Thursday, January 24

Nobody Knows My Name! The Value of Personal Branding with Shannon Skinner & Artist Challenge Day 4



When it comes to personal branding, Shannon Skinner has managed to create a brand that is authentic to her passions and purpose. Her resume is quite extensive: creator/ host of a talk show, author, inspirational speaker and public relations professional. When it comes to introducing yourself as an artist to the world, Shannon understands the value of being your own promoter, showing the world exactly who you are and going for what you want despite the fear that may try to convince you to sit in standstill. I’m so happy to have Shannon come speak at The Millionaire Artist workshop on February 2nd!

Here are 3 lessons I believe Shannon will be able to offer you all:

On pursuing your dreams despite the fear

When I had the idea of creating my talk show Extraordinary Women TV with Shannon Skinner, I had a lot of fear and, although I knew I would do it "one day," I was waiting for all the conditions to be right. I had envisioned doing something like this since I was a child, as I was born and raised in a family of television broadcasters. I spent much of my youth in a television station. But instead of doing it, I sat on the idea. Fast-forward...one beautiful summer evening in 2010, a good friend of mine gave me some bad news: he had less than one year to live. Shocked and saddened, I later asked myself a question: "If I had one year to live, what would I do?" That quality question pushed me past my fears and other obstacles, and within a short time I birthed my show -- and my new career was started. I since realized that conditions will rarely be right to follow your heart, so you just have to do it.


The importance of having an inspirational source to continually refer to when needed

"The Whispering Heart: Your Inner Guide to Creativity" is a book I wrote a few years ago. It is my favourite book, not because I wrote it, but because I keep re-reading it to take my own advice when I need a courage boost or clarity.

Putting your best foot forward & creating a great impression is just as much about creating the right appearance as it is about your talent.

The best advice I’ve received in this industry is to never wear short skirts or dresses for television interviews.


Artist Tip #4: Nobody Knows My Name! Tell the World Who You Are!

It's never too early to tell the world what you do and who you are! Usually when I start working with my coaching clients, their first complaint and biggest concern they share is that no one knows who they are! They then proceed to tell me they aren't "big" enough yet, to have a following or it too soon to think about branding themselves!!! 
Well, how do you think you are going to start to build a following unless you start today??? 

When I first started in the business, my first show was in a Brampton Public Library, I had about four people in the audience! And two of them were family members who felt sorry for me, so they showed up! But even back then I knew the importance of branding and building my audience. I faithfully mailed out flyers, and newsletters monthly! Yes mailed them! Licked envelopes! Remember those days?! There was no internet or Facebook back then!  

My shows eventually grew from 4 people to 10, to 100, to 1000, and now 'da Kink in my hair theatrical show has been seen by over 125,000 people! Not bad for a person who had four people at her first show!  

START TODAY--- start to think about how to build your audience and how to find clients for your work. Start by buying your domain name, start a fan page on Facebook, get a twitter account, get a Youtube channel, create a website, start a blog...  Let people know what you are doing!

At the workshop I will give several valuable tips on how to grow your audience and how to let the world know who you are! I will also let you know a secret tip on how to immediately make your brand/ yourself look more professional! It works every time trust me! See you there! 

****** Today's give away, the seventh person to Facebook me and say, “I want to know how to get paid and paid now!” will win a ticket to my Millionaire Artist workshop


No comments: